Uncanny X-Men (2024) #1 Review - RIB17

Uncanny X-Men (2024) #1 Review

Disclaimer: I haven’t read most of the Krakoa era, I began it and then life got in the way somewhere along the line. I’ve always liked the X-Men but when it comes to the comics I’m a real noob, unfortunately. I try not to spoil anything in my reviews.

TLDR: This issue is pretty cool, it’s a new jumping on point for a core team of X-Men and although I am 100% missing context, this issue does great at establishing the new status quo and binding you to the characters you know and love.

        You want to know something funny? This is my first Gail Simone comic, though it’s not the first thing I’ve experienced that was written by her, it’s my second. The first happened earlier today by complete coincidence, and now I am really biased in favor of the way she writes characters. I start college again in about a week, it’ll be my senior year and so it’s sort of my last summer I get to really spend with my little brother. We like to watch shows together. Last summer it was a lot of anime (over 500 episodes worth), but presently we’ve made it a goal to finish the old Justice League Unlimited cartoon.

        That show was one of my favorites from my childhood, it’s something I’ve always remembered and upon rewatching it I had forgotten how good it really is. A character dynamic that I’ve kept with me throughout the years is the relationship between Huntress and The Question. My brother and I just watched the episode that premiered that dynamic earlier today. I still love it and as far-fetched as it sounds, I hope someday I can see it again. Also, this isn’t important, but the episode was written in a really smart way. I know this’ll sound pretentious but there were references and little jokes in there that really made me smile, and that would go over a little kid’s head for sure.

        This isn’t supposed to be a review of that episode, but as I was watching it I was struck by how well it was written and planned out. From the pacing to the dialogue, it was golden through and through and I’m really happy I noticed it was written by Gail Simone, someone who I had heard of but never experienced as a writer. She writes comics in a way I really prefer, with the character’s thoughts on display. I know so many people will disagree with me but I think that using boxes for thoughts and then having the characters interact realistically is the best way for comic storytelling.

        This issue is excellent, the characters speak to each other like real people and although it’s mostly from Rogue’s perspective, everyone feels like how a hero should. I don’t know what to say to expand on that without spoiling anything but the X-Men are down on their luck bad, and yet they are still very clearly heroes. Now there’s a clear exception to this within the issue, one that I don’t know the context of, but it’s not someone on this team so I feel that my point stands and that readers will agree.

        The issue is essentially a string of successive vignettes, ones that I have no reason for having emotional attachment to given that I haven’t read the Krakoa era, but that hit pretty well all the same. I didn’t cry or anything but it’ll stir you up if you're the sort of person who cares about the characters you read about and have grown up with. Gail Simone did a bang up job, I feel like I could write pages about it with how much she was able to put into a single issue, and if you’re considering reading it at all then you’ve gotta go for it. Man, I forgot to mention that she even set up an intriguing short AND long term plot for readers to look forward to. This issue is genius for so many reasons and I am very impressed which, despite my mostly positive comments on this blog, is not really an easy thing to do, I promise.

        If there’s even a remote chance that you see yourself reading this, then please do yourself the favor of picking it up. I feel like an idiot for not even mentioning how good the art is. The characters look beautiful and the colorist really knows how to bring out certain elements that make a panel (and especially a character’s face) absolutely pop. I can’t wait to see more of this, I hope that it stays as cool and amazing as it is and I wish I could afford that sweet Jim Lee cover.

Nikhil Saxena

Founder, Destrier Studios

https://linktr.ee/destrierstudios

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I, Napoleon Review - RIB18

Knave 2e Review - RIB03

Shadowdark Review - RIB05